Get Adobe Flash player

Archive for the ‘News’ Category

‘Anonymous’ Launches Operation Armenian Genocide

The “hacktivist” (activist hackers) group “Anonymous” recently released a new video announcing Operation Armenian Genocide, which threatens attacks against Turkish and U.S. government websites if they fail to recognize the Armenian Genocide. Read more

French Parliament Votes to Outlaw denial of Armenian Genocide

France’s parliament voted on Monday to make it a crime to deny that a 1915 massacre of Armenians civilians by Ottoman Turks amounted to genocide.

The Turkish government reacted furiously to the Senate vote, and warned of “permanent consequences” if President Nicolas Sarkozy signs the bill into law. Read more

France Makes Denial of Armenian Genocide Illegal

Paris, December 22

France’s lower house of parliament passed a bill on Thursday making denial of the Armenian genocide a crime punishable by a 45,000-euro fine and a year in jail.

The bill refers to the deaths of more than 1 million Armenians living in the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1917. Read more

Wikileaks: Diplomat Says ‘We Really Slaughtered Them!’

(A.W.)–The Ottoman Archives are undergoing a purging campaign to destroy all incriminating evidence relating to the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1923, say scholars, and according to one source the evidence—at one time or another—indicated that what transpired in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire was purely and simply a “slaughter.” Read more

Kocharian signaled readiness to talk to Turkey back in 2005


PanARMENIAN.Net
 – According to the information published by whistleblowing website Wikileaks, in a letter to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan dated April 25, 2005 Armenia’s President Robert Kocharian stated readiness to normalize relations with Turkey.

“As two neighbors, we both must work to find ways to live together in harmony. That is why, from the first day, we have extended our hand to you to establish relations, open the border, and thus start a dialogue between the two countries and two peoples,” Kocharian wrote.

Source: PanArmenian.Net 

Poet celebrates paintings of artists who escaped genocide

David Rich went to Turkey in 2001 on an archeological dig, to unearth the facts about a newly uncovered ancient civilization. The facts he eventually discovered turned out to be much more modern, more troubling, and told a much different story than he expected. The trip, and Rich’s subsequent interest in the Armenian holocaust, as well as an obscure abstract expressionist painter, has transformed into a book of poems, “Arshile Gorky,” which Rich will read Wednesday evening at the Gloucester Writers Center.

Source: wickedlocal.com

 

Turkish Court Sentences Dink’s Murderers

ISTANBUL — A Turkish court on Thursday sentenced six military officers to up to six months’ prison, in connection with the murder of prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, the semi-official Anatolia Agency reported.
Dink, the editor-in-chief of bilingual Armenian-Turkish newspaper Agos, was gunned down in front of his office in Istanbul on January 19, 2007.
The former gendarmerie commander for the Black Sea city of Trabzon and a captain who was chief of intelligence in the provincial gendarmerie were each sentenced to six months in prison.
Four other officers received prison sentences of four months each, while two were acquitted.
The Trabzon court convicted the officers of negligence in preventing Dink’s murder, by ignoring intelligence pertaining to a plot to kill the outspoken journalist.
Ogun Samast, a then-17-year-old youth from Trabzon who has confessed to the shooting, is currently on trial for the murder.
Samast is alleged to have been recruited by a group that had been plotting to kill Dink for up to a year beforehand.
In addition to suspicious links between the suspects and security institutions, lawyers representing the Dink family at various times have accused the police of destroying vital evidence and concealing crucial information from the court and the prosecution.
Dink family lawyers said the Trabzon suspects had had prior knowledge about a plot to kill Dink since July 2006 but had failed to take the necessary measures, suggesting that they had personal relations with the suspects in Dink’s murder, the trial for which is continuing at Istanbul’s 14th High Criminal Court.
In September, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled that the Turkish state had failed to protect Dink’s life and his freedom of expression and ordered the government to pay compensation to his family.

Source: Massis Post

Iraqi Supreme Court Announces “Anfal Barzanies” as Genocide

PNA-The “Anfal Barzanies” in today’s meeting (3 May) of the supreme court of the Iraqi crime as genocide and crime against humanity were recognized

“Ayad kakaee “, the lawyer s file member of “Anfal Barzanies” said to Peyamner News: the Supreme Court of crimes, today (Tuesday) was held by judge “Aso Mohammad” and final judgment issued in the “Anfal Barzanies “file

He added: the court by article 11 and 12 law,”Anfal Barzanies” announced as Genocide and Crime against humanity and the defendants were sentenced.

The following people were known as guilty in court:

1.Sadon Shaker Mahmud, that in 1983 was responsible in Baath regime in governmentally ministry post when disappeared Barzani Kurds. He according to article 11 of law (Genocide) were sentenced to Death and according to article 12 (Crime against humanity and) total to 32 years in prison

2.Hekamt Mazban Ibrahim, deputy prime minister and finance minister Baath regime in 1983, according to article 12 ,were sentenced to life imprisonment

3.Hamed Yosef Hemadi, secretary -time “Saddam Hussein” ,Iraqi deposed dictator according to article 12 were sentenced to 10 years in prison.

4.Taregh Aziz ,the member of revaluation and the regional leadership council according to 11 to life imprisonment and according to article 12 totally to prison to 32 years

5. Sofiyan Maher Hassan, the Presidential guard officer in 1983 that he has had an active arrest for Barzanies, were sentenced according to article 11 to life imprisonment and to article 12 to prison to 7 years

Ayad kakaee also added:”Vatban ibarhim Hassan “the half brother of Saddam Hussein was the other defendants in this case, because the evidence was not available to prove his involvement for Barzanies genocide ,was released on court order.

The former Baath Regime, from 30 July until 1 September 1983, during operation as “Anfal”, more than 8 thousand people living in the Barzan region and Barzanies massacred and was buried in mass graves .

Source: IdeaResult

The Importance of Armenian Genocide Recognition

Source: IanYan Magazine

Bahrain Arresting Doctors Who Have Accurate Counts of Dead Protestors

Security forces have seized at least eight health workers from two separate medical facilities in Bahrain, sources tell Al Jazeera.

The Aali Health Centre in Manama was raided early on Tuesday morning, as shown in an image posted by an activist on Facebook. Medical staff working in the two centres were beaten and an unknown number were arrested.

Human rights groups have accused Bahrain of arresting patients and medical staff suspected of taking part in protests, and sacking hundreds of public workers. Bahrain says it targets only those who committed crimes during the unrest in March.

Mattar Ibrahim Mattar, a former member of parliament for Wefaq, the country’s leading opposition group, told Al Jazeera that the families of medical staff who have been providing treatment to injured protesters were being arrested.

“The attack is also against the families of the activists who were against the prevention of medical services in the crackdown,” Mattar said in a phone interview on Tuesday.

Medical staff were targeted because they had been keeping accurate statistics on the number of people injured or killed in the uprising, he said, information which the government did not want to be made public.

“It is a way to hide the situation,” he said.

Educational institutions have also been targeted, he said, and as many as 10 schools had been raided since the crackdown began on February 14.

Many students who had witnessed these raids told him that students were beaten, arrested and tortured while they were detained.

Media stifled

Al Jazeera also learnt on Tuesday of the arrest of five Bahraini journalists and a blogger over the past week.
Faisal Hayat, a sports writer, and Haider Muhammad of Al Wasat newspaper, were still in prison as of Tuesday night.

Hussein al-Ghadeiri, a reporter for Al Bilad, Nada al Wadi, who writes for Al Wasat, and Al Watan‘s Mona Al Nashaba were each held by police for some time between eight and 36 hours before being released. They said they had been beaten.

At least 10 journalists have been fired from state-run newspapers, including the majority of those who had been arrested.

Source: Al Jazeera

 

Return top

'Genocide Monument'

Using the unrecognized Genocides of the past as a reason to keep vigilance on all current ones around the world. The iPhone app is now available free on the Apple App Store. The Android and Blackberry versions of 'Genocide Monument' are currently being funded for production.